Thursday, February 7, 2008

I'm So Sorry To Tell You This

I don't have much time -our computers have been up and down all night. Why? That in a moment.

It is with an extremely heavy heart and lots of tears that I have to tell you that our Grand Opening has been postponed until Saturday, Feb. 16, at 12 noon. I've been up all night doing nothing but finishing the pictures, typing up descriptions for literally hundreds of items, uploading the pictures, and being proud (albeit tired) when it was done. Then I sent it all up to Hubster's computer and -POOF - it disappeared. Every last word I typed and picture I uploaded. All gone. This was an hour ago, at 9:30 a.m. Then we couldn't contact the site at all. It's gone, and now I have to redo it all, and I don't have time to make it today.

Even if I did, our server keeps going down. Hubster has talked to them, but they've told us not to put anything of value (uh... like my entire store?) on there until Monday. They're having major problems with their servers; since tomorrow is Friday, they'll be working on it through the weekend. It was like taking an eraser and wiping a chalkboard clean.

Add on to that the fact that our phone lines were down for two days this week and continue to give us problems. The phone company can't come out until next week, so I'm lucky when I can get online. It's something called a "hard cross". Sometimes when I pick up the phone, I hear my neighbors talking (like the old party lines), and they can hear me. Not only that, whenever they pick up their phones, it bounces us right off the Internet. Great.

I must apologize to all of you. I had it within my grasp. I was going to have time to take a shower, to watch the shop open, to have everything in place and ready for you. I feel like a failure even though it's not my fault. I'm tired, need to take a shower, have been sitting in this damn chair for 12 hours (and on my feet for six hours before that), and my legs have swollen up to the size of balloons due to fluid retention (it's a part of the disease). I've let you all down, and that's the worst part of all.

So just to be on the safe side, we've set the opening for well past the date the phone company will be here and the servers will be repaired. The only good thing is that the site will be even better, I'll have even more merchandise for you, and the contest will be changed to include gift certificates, discounts, and yarn. I hope this makes up for all the trouble this has caused.

Please come to the shop a week from Saturday at noon PST. Please don't abandon me or it - I'll be ready to go if I have to drive to San Jose and strangle the dude running the server operation. I'm so very, very sorry.

I'm going to go knit until I fall asleep. This has been such a horrible night that I need to do something to wind down. Besides, if I don't get off pretty soon, my neighbors may pick up their phone and bounce me.

I'm so sorry.

12 comments:

Tara (aka AbbysMomma) said...

[[[[Pam]]]] BIG hugs.

Hang in there sweetie...things happen and we all understand. We'll be here for you patiently waiting for the opening on Sat. (2/16).

Now, go have a nap. :)

Sorcha said...

Please don't stress yourself about whether we will be there. We will. You say when, we will knock the doors down... you DID warn the server dudes that Rabid Fiber Addicts would be swarming your site when it opened didn't you?

Unknown said...

I hope you get some good long rest...opening your own business is horrendously tough and I think everyone knows what an enormous undertaking this is. Good thoughts are being sent your way and I look forward to your shop. I will also try to send some good and happy thoughts in the direction of your server. Take care, Pam! Best wishes! Peace out!!!

Marin (AntiM) said...

See, I feel really really bad for you and I want to hug you, but the selfish side of me is still going, "open open open."

Don't your webernet people know they're ruining lives here?

Meghann said...

Oh, don't feel bad....you have nothing to feel bad for! You can't control the universe (and how many times have we all tried that?)

Can't wait to see it!!

SwissKnits! said...

Good things come to those who wait!

Michelle

skywitch said...

I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with all these issues. Take care of yourself, rest and knit.

I'll be marking the 16th on my calendar!

Anonymous said...

Pam, I'm so sorry, but as everyone has said these things happen and have happened to all of us at sometime, please rest and don't worry we will all be there on Saturday. Sending you a big HUG.

Sheryl x x

NoSheep4U said...

I just read this and I hope by now you're rested and feeling better! I've got ya bookmarked and on my Google calendar, so not to worry - I'll be back! Breathe, girl!

PINBACKBUTTONS said...

KNIT HAPPENS---

(¯`v´¯)-»(¯`v´¯)-»(¯`v´¯)-»(¯`v´¯)

Crafty Pancakes said...

It's ok :) That kind of stuff happens. I guess you don't want our money..LOL Just kidding! I am sorry you have to redo all of that work! I know you were so excited about opening the shop today. But no worries. You know we'll all visit the site when it's up and running. Don't stress about it.

Rabbitch said...

I'm so sorry!

We'll all be back, sweetie. Let the server guys know that your customers have pointy sticks (and there's a statistical probability that several of us will also have PMS).

He may wish to make sure it works.