Monday, September 15, 2008

I Just Keep Getting Kicked in the Ass

No matter how hard I try, no matter how many hours I work, no matter how good my intentions... life just kicks me in the ass.

Take the shop, for example. I have several new vendors to add, and that was my plan for the week - add them and get ready for the next round to come. But it didn't quite work out that way. For some reason, my body is demanding sleep - LOTS of it. I can sit down at the computer with all my paperwork and begin filling out forms; the next thing I know, it's several hours later, and I haven't done a single thing other than type a lot of strange characters which might make sense in some Arabic language. You see, for every item I list, I have to fill out three forms - two for the spreadsheets and one for the actual listing. That's why it takes me so long to get listings done. I'm sure other shops have more streamlined ways of doing it, but this works really well for me. When I can actually get it done, that is. Just to show you how things roll around here lately, here I am with the ever-accommodating snoring pot roast, aka Emma, in my usual position.


IMG_0533.JPG


Aren't I just the picture of loveliness? And I post it for the world to see. I have no shame. Isn't Emma getting big? I think when we see the vet on Wednesday, she might have to stay. It's time for her to get spayed. Then she'll be just like her Mommy.

So today, my plan is to get some more sleep as soon as I finish writing this, have a couple of cuppas when I wake up, and then sit down to work. I'm going to work straight through the afternoon and evening, have dinner, and work some more. I'll knit later when I've done as much work as I can. Will this actually happen?

In theory, it sounds perfect. In real life, I have my doubts. But I'm going to try, because those poor vendors sent their work to me and entrusted me with it. I MUST get it listed, and I will. It just wasn't done last week like I had hoped. I'm beginning to see that I grossly underestimate the amount of time it takes me to do anything.

On the photography side of things, Hubster bought some new lights which light up the entire neighborhood. Our pictures should now be clear as a bell and sharp. They'd better be; I'm damn near blind from the things.

We won't even talk about how backed up my email is.

On the happier side of things, I'm putting together a Sock of the Month club. I have a designer who will design exclusive patterns and am in the process of getting some dyers to do the yarn. All the details will be revealed as soon as I get them finished (assuming, that is, I stay awake). I think it will be a great deal of fun.

The Crochet and Knit Giveaway ends tonight at 8:59 p.m. PDT. If you haven't entered, it's your last chance to do so. Hop on over there and put in your two cents' worth.

The other fun thing I did was to buy a Kindle from Amazon. I read all about how Rachel (Yarn-A-Go-Go) loves hers, and I've been wanting one for some time, so I decided to take the plunge. It's really easy to spend a tremendous amount of money on books just because it's so much fun to watch them instantly download. You can tell what a cultured bitch I am by looking at my reading list. The books are either written by Sonny Barger of the Hell's Angels or about prisons. This thing is amazing. It uses some kind of ink that translates to the screen somehow (no, it's not inky - I can't explain it; read about it on the Amazon site), and it's really easy to see and read. It also does a ton of stuff, is very light and portable, and charges up very quickly. I've ordered a leather cover for it, although the cover that came with it works great (I have a leather fetish). Hubster is thinking of getting one for himself because I won't let him touch the screen, hover over him when he's using it, etc. He thinks I have too many rules. I think I'm just taking care of my new toy. It will be terrific for our upcoming trip to San Diego; you can actually download books while you're in the car. You can also download the first chapter (or a part of it - I'm not sure which) for free before you buy the book. It's just too cool.

The CD seems to be coming along really well. We're just keeping our fingers crossed about the time factor. If we can get it done by the time of the concert, we can sell it there. There's already a shop in Idyllwild that's going to sell it, and I don't know where else it will pop up. I've promised some copies for my boys and friends (the friends being the ones outside the prison). I guess I should have a copy, too. It's all terribly exciting; if you had told me that I'd be a recording artist when I turned 50, I would have told you that you were full of shit and should stop eating those funny mushrooms. Life has a strange way of working things out.

And kicking me in the ass.

1 comment:

Becka said...

I gotta tell ya - I WAY understand the sleep thing! LOL, you look like me & Sally, altho Sally is a mini doxie, but she does curl up with me wherever I am!
Good luck with the cd!!!