Monday, September 15, 2008

Bad News

I never post twice in one day, but I felt this warranted it.

As many of you know, our "original" dog, Cheyenne, has been living with my mom for the past year. We couldn't bring her here because she has no control over her potty functions; since this is a rented house, we couldn't risk having her potty all over the floor. There's also no grass in the backyard - just cement and the pool - so we couldn't let her outside (we take Emma out in front, but Cheyenne couldn't handle walking all the way out there).

We just got a phone call from my mom telling us that it's time. Our puppy (who is about 20 years old now) can't see, keeps falling (her back legs aren't supporting her), is going to the bathroom uncontrollably, and appears to be stone deaf. Mom says that she isn't in any pain, but she can't make that call. Hubster and I both agreed that it's time to set her free. We see the vet on Wednesday for Emma, so we'll talk to him about when to do it while we're there.

Cheyenne has been the best dog anybody could ask for all these years. We adopted her from the Arizona Animal Shelter shortly after we got married; nobody was looking at her as she sat in her enclosure, and even I walked right past her. I finally noticed her and went to the fence; she walked up, laid her face against the chain link, and closed her eyes. It was love at first sight. She's been a loving and loyal companion, and I've only heard her bark a few times in all these years. I can't believe that it's time to put her down, even though we knew this day was coming. I'm sort of numb.

I have to go. I can't see the screen anymore.

6 comments:

Bezzie said...

It's never easy--even when you know it's coming. Hugs!

Syd said...

Oh Pam! Been there too many times and it always is devastating...Prayers going out that she goes swiftly, painlessly and safely to the Spirit world.

Marin (AntiM) said...

Sorry, sweetie. I know it doesn't make it easier for one side of you, but the other side knows you're doing the good and humane thing.

I hope your other side is a great comfort to your one side.

XOXO

Laura Neal said...

Oh Pam,
I am so sorry to hear that. It will be best to let her go, she had a wonderful life because you rescued her. You are her angel.

Becka said...

OH my, I'm SO SORRY! My heart is breaking for you! My hubby and I are very, very attached to our "empty nest" baby (mini doxie) who is now 5 & grow more attached as time passes. I canNOT even imagine how you must feel. Know I'll be praying for ya!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can't WAIT to see your new tat!! I'm with ya, you must memorialize this cd! You have been collecting longer than I! I have for about 8-9 years now, it is fun, isn't it?!

Qutecowgirl said...

Hugs Pam. I know the feeling. The ship has been hitting the fan here too.