Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Secret Pal 12 Question

Here is this week's SP12 question:

Have you ever entered your knitting (or anything else) in the fair? Would you ever consider it?

Yes. In 1999, I entered my baklava in the Pastry Division for Baking, as well as a king-sized bed hand-pieced sampler quilt, in the California State Fair. I took first place with the quilt (which was later auctioned off for Habitat for Humanity at a black-tie dinner - my best friend had organized the event), and also took first place, Best of Class, and Best of Division with the baklava. I would have taken Best of Show, too, but I lost out to a chocolate pie. When I received my score sheet, I had a score of 100 and the comment, "Perfect!". That must have been one hell of a pie. I think that traditionally, pies win Best of Show in pastry. That's okay - I got a shitload of ribbons and the rosette I had been coveting. One day, I'll enter my knitting or crocheting or spinning - if I can get my shop update done, that is.

No comments: