Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On The Eve of a Great Adventure

Well, kids, it's here. I still have a million things to do, but I'm tired. I need to pack up my flutes, my knitting bags, and our luggage. It can all wait until tomorrow. So what have I accomplished today?

It doesn't seem like much, but I'm finally caught up on the shop update (and have sent out a newsletter letting everyone know about it). Not only are there lots of new vendors, but several vendors have updated their inventories. The alpaca lady (Fiber Co-Op) is there, as well as roving, yarn, stitch markers, earrings, notecards, etc., and a new color selection of the needle gauge jewelry from Debra's Garden. It took me all evening, but I wanted to get it done before we left. I still have to put up that one vendor, but that will wait until we get home. My main focus was to get all the vendors up and running, and that I've done.

So in the true tradition of me and Hubster, we'll wait until the minute before we're due to walk out the door to pack our luggage, my flutes and drums and rattles and medicine bags, my knitting bags, Emma's food and toys (her new bed and carrier are out in the car already), and all the other shit we always drag along with us. I checked the map to see where the street we're going to is, and it appears to back up into nothingness. How lovely! I told Hubster he'll have to be careful walking the sausage at night unless we bring the MagLight. I got that flashlight when I was in high school from my best friend's dad; it's still in the same shape it was in all those decades ago. It's a weapon, too, which is why I want him to take it. I know there are lots of critters out there at night who might take kindly to eating Emma. It's going to be an adventure for all of us, that's for sure. My idea of roughing it is having to get out of bed to reach the phone in order to call down for food and have my bath drawn (with rose petals sprinkled in the bath water). Think I'm kidding? Ask Hubster - he'll tell you.

I want to thank all of you who wrote, left comments here, and otherwise have shown your love and support. I'm getting nervous now that the day for us to leave has come. It's going to be hot down there, so I'm beginning to wonder if we should have put Emma in a kennel. But then again, it feels strange when she's not with us, so I think we're doing the right thing. The cabin is shaded from all the trees surrounding it and there are five ceiling fans, so I'm hoping it stays somewhat cool. We'll open it up at night. With any luck, Hubster will find a creek for the sausage to romp in during the day. That would be awesome.

Me? I'm going to do NOTHING except knit and relax on the deck. We have a gas BBQ, and they provide us with a propane tank as well as wood for the fireplaces. We might light the outdoor one at night; otherwise, we'll just relax and try to stay cool. I'm going for rehearsal Friday night, and then the recording session is at 11:00 a.m. Saturday. Nervous!!

So I'm off to knit for a while and probably fall asleep in my chair. No, strike that... I have two skeins to wind into balls first. I'm taking four knitting projects so I can switch off should I get bored (or really screw one of them up). I really have no plans for the time outside of practicing and in the studio. I think this will be good for all of us.

I'll have the notebook with me in case anybody needs to get in touch. The shop will also be open during our absence, but nothing will get shipped until next Tuesday. Have fun browsing in it (and hopefully finding something you love); remember that you can email me with question, problems, or just to say hello. :)

Screw knitting. I'm going to sleep. See you next week!

3 comments:

Mrs.Q said...

What an adventure! Can't wait to hear all the fab details when you get back! Have a great time!

Syd said...

Wheeeee, enjoy and blow their socks off at the recording studio! Sending lots of love!

Laura Neal said...

Go rest and have fun. Enjoy that vacation! Forget about the shop, it will be fine. Go Pam Go!